Early Friday morning, MLB writer Peter Gammons joined The Mully and Hanley Show on 670 The Score in Chicago. It seemed like the typical discussion about baseball on a sports radio network and in all honesty, it was… Until Gammons dropped a bombshell for Major League Baseball and the Chicago Cubs.
Projected to hit free agency after the 2018 season, Bryce Harper has been linked to the Cubs. According to Gammons, Harper would consider joining the Cubs and their core group with Kris Bryant and Anthony Rizzo in 2019. We’re still ways away from Harper potentially hitting free agency, but speculation about where Harper will play in 2019 has been a topic of discussion since his previous two-year contract extension with the Nationals.
There are a few things to consider:
- Harper’s agent is Scott Boras. Boras is well known around the league for his tough negotiations and getting his clients every penny they deserve… and more.
- Harper is only 24 years old. While chasing a championship will be on his mind, he’s got plenty of years to do so.
- The New York Yankees have been previously rumored to be a possible destination for Harper.
- It has been speculated that Harper could receive the richest contract in MLB history, possibly reaching the plus side of $400 million.
- Kris Bryant and Harper both grew up in Las Vegas. Not really too important, but Harper and Bryant are reportedly close.
Obviously, more information will be posted as it becomes available and these are early reports that Harper may be interested in playing for Chicago, but any news about a superstar like Bryce Harper is worth noting. Stay tuned!