Who are the best defenses in this league? It’s a question often answered half way with the top ten. So I decided to rank all 32 NFL defenses and this is what I found. It is extremely hard to separate them after you pass the top 15 if your team is to low, they very well could be higher. I am basing this on where I project these defenses to be this year. Hope you enjoy.
1. Houston Texans: JJ Watt returns to the field to join a defense who statistically were the best in the league last year. Pair him with Jadaveon Clowney and Whitney Merciless and you get the best defense in the league hands down.
2. Seattle Seahawks: Say what you will, this defense is hands down number two I really don’t see the they are to old argument. They just added Sheldon Richardson one of the top five defensive tackles in the league. If they stay healthy they are the 2 if they get hurt they drop but not below five.
3. Kansas City Chiefs: This team’s defense is always overlooked because of Denver’s but I feel they are stronger. Dee Ford and Justin Houston are dominant pass rushers and Houston has still looked good after admittedly losing a step last year. Marcus Peter is the best young corner in the league and the secondary is shut down that’s why this team takes the 3 spot.
4. New York Giants: How did Landon Collins not go 1 overall? He is a top 3 safety in my mind. Collins made at least one wow play a game last year and though the Giants CBs aren’t the strongest Collins paired with a stellar front 7 is a recipe for success.
5. Baltimore Ravens: Terrell Suggs replaced Ray Lewis. Seriously, the guys have the same personalities and playing styles and it shows. The Ravens were the best defense in yards per game yards passing and yards rushing last year. They have an incredibly deep core of defensive players and that is why they take the five spot.
6. Denver Broncos: Why are they so low? Full disclosure I’m a Broncos fan so this should shock more. The Broncos have some glaring problems in stopping the run and injuries to Derek Wolfe and Shane Ray coming into the season. Not to mention defensive legend Demarcus Ware retired. Oh, also you let go of your safety and now your starter is Will Parks? There are too many question marks on this D to have them as a top 5 unit. However, they regain certainty by having the second best defensive player in the league in Von Miller on the team. Not to mention Aqib Talib and the all to underrated Chris Harris Jr.
7. Minnesota Vikings: Xavier Rhodes is a beast at corner and the Vikings pass rush is incredibly scary. The team relies so much on them though that they often get tired and allow one or two big plays a game. Still I have them at 7.
8. Philadelphia Eagles: The Eagles d is now loaded on the front 7 with the addition of Derek Barnett from Tennessee. This team had its moments last year and looked dominant towards the end and through the pre-season this year. Doesn’t hurt to have a shutdown corner like Malcom Jenkins either.
9. Los Angeles Rams: Wade Phillips plus Aaron Donald equals dominant defense.
10. Jacksonville Jaguars: Just because this offense sucks so much people ignore one of the best defenses in the league. Jalen Ramsey is a fantastic corner and Malik Jackson is a great run stuffer they added Calais Campbell and this defense has potential to win the Jags some games.
11. Arizona Cardinals
12. Atlanta Falcons
13. Carolina Panthers
14. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
15. Oakland Raiders
16. Los Angeles Chargers
17. New England Patriots
18. Pittsburgh Steelers
19. Washington Redskins
20. Cleveland Browns
21. Cincinnati Bengals
22. Miami Dolphins
23. Tennessee Titans
24. Chicago Bears
25. New Orleans Saints
26. Buffalo Bills
27. San Francisco 49ers
28. New York Jets
29. Dallas Cowboys
30. Indianapolis Colts
31. Green Bay Packers
32. Detroit Lions