The NFL season is officially in the books and we can look forward to the 2019 season. The New England Patriots took down the Los Angeles Rams in the Super Bowl 13-3. They now have six Super Bowl Titles in franchise history.
New England had a championship parade on Tuesday in Boston. Which teams will be on the final Top 10 rankings for the 2018 season?
10. Seattle Seahawks (10-7): The Seahawks lost on Wild Card Weekend to the Dallas Cowboys 24-22. Russell Wilson was very good this past season and they happened to establish a valuable running game. Seattle overachieved this season. The NFC West will be tougher next season.
9. Chicago Bears (12-5): The Bears had the potential to make a playoff run, but they lost on Wild Card Weekend to the Philadelphia Eagles at home. Chicago missed a field goal late in the game even though it was partially tipped. Mitchell Trubisky proved that he is going to be really good one day and he made the throws in that game when he needed to. Trubisky completed 60.5 percent of his passes for 303 yards and one touchdown. The defense is elite. Matt Nagy won Coach of the Year. Vic Fagino became the next head coach of the Denver Broncos and Chuck Pagano will be the new defensive coordinator because of it.
8. Philadelphia Eagles (10-8): The Eagles almost shocked the world in the NFC Divisional Round against the New Orleans Saints on the road. Philadelphia jumped out to a 14-0 lead in the game and New Orleans came back to beat them 20-14. The Philadelphia Eagles had a chance to win the game, but Alshon Jeffrey dropped a pass thrown by Nick Foles and it was intercepted. This team will be very dangerous next season and if Carson Wentz is healthy, watch out.
7. Indianapolis Colts (11-7): The Colts were a surprising no show in the AFC Divisional Round against the Kansas City Chiefs on the road. Indianapolis lost 31-13. This team started the 2018 season 1-5 and they won nine-out-of-10 to make it to the postseason. Andrew Luck had a bounce back season. Frank Reich was very good coaching. Darius Leonard won Defensive Rookie of the Year. This team will be really dangerous next season.
6. Dallas Cowboys (11-7): The Cowboys were mauled up front on both sides of the ball in a 30-22 loss in the NFC Divisional Round on the road against the Los Angeles Rams. Dallas will not give Head Coach Jason Garrett a contract extension and he currently has one-year left on his deal. Dak Prescott played well in both playoff games. They have a very talented roster heading into next season. Amari Cooper was a great addition for this football team.
5. Los Angeles Chargers (13-5): The Chargers lost to the New England Patriots on the road in the AFC Divisional Round 41-28 and the game wasn’t as close as the score indicated. The defense disappeared. They didn’t disappear against the Baltimore Ravens on the road the week before. Los Angeles was one of the most talented teams in the NFL this season. This may have been the best chance for Philip Rivers to win a Super Bowl title and he is 37 years old.
4. Kansas City Chiefs (14-4): The Chiefs lost to the New England Patriots at home in the AFC Championship Game 37-31 in overtime. Patrick Mahomes was impressive in the second-half after being contained in the first-half. He only completed 51.6 percent of his passes in that contest, but he threw for 295 yards and three touchdowns. Mahomes won the MVP Award and he also won Offensive Player of the Year. Damien Williams proved himself to be the number one running back. When Kansas City was leading 28-24 in the fourth-quarter, Tom Brady was picked but Dee Ford was offsides and the rest was history. Bob Sutton got fired from his defensive coordinator duties and Steve Spagnuolo was hired to be the new defensive coordinator. This team is the favorite to win the Super Bowl next season.
3. New Orleans Saints (14-4): The Saints were robbed of a Super Bowl appearance and because of that, a lot of the New Orleans area didn’t watch the Super Bowl and ratings were way down. Drew Brees is 40 years old and he will be back for another season. This team has the talent to win it all next season. They were very good defensively again this season. Defensive Coordinator Dennis Allen isn’t expected to go anywhere. His name was rumored to be the next possible defensive coordinator for the Cincinnati Bengals.
2. Los Angeles Rams (15-4): The Rams were tremendous on defense in the Super Bowl, but they were terrible on offense in the Super Bowl. Jared Goff completed 50 percent of his passes in that game for 229 yards and one interception. He threw his interception late in the game deep into New England’s territory. Todd Gurley only rushed for 35 yards on 20 carries and caught one pass for -1 yards receiving. He didn’t get enough attention in the game and their is no way he was totally healthy for this game. This is the kind of game that could derail this team in the long run. Sean McVay was out coached by Bill Belichick.
1.New England Patriots (14-5): The Patriots dynasty lives on….for now. This has been an incredible run for this team. Julian Edelman won the Super Bowl MVP with 10 receptions for 141 yards receiving. Rob Gronkowski might retire. He caught six passes for 87 yards receiving. Gronkowski had two big catches on the game-winning drive that set up a 1-yard touchdown run by Sony Michel. Michel was a beast in his rookie season. He rushed for 94 yards on 18 carries and a score. Tom Brady completed 60 percent of his passes for 262 yards and one interception in the Super Bowl. He has won six rings. Bill Belichick has won eight rings and the other two rings were with the New York Giants as the defensive coordinator. This team could very well win it all again next year.