Check out PristineAuction.com for authentic, affordable collectibles and to start bidding on items for free.
The 2017 Mets season has been full of disappointment, injuries, and setbacks. If the Mets want to contend in 2018 and onwards, they need to do a few things.
1. Get a new manager: Terry Collins needs to go, and thankfully, his contract is up after this season ends. The Mets can either promote from within the organization, or look elsewhere for a manager. Internal candidates include: Dick Scott (Current Bench Coach), Pedro Lopez (AAA Manager), and David Wright. External options could include: Robin Ventura (Former White Sox Manager), Chip Hale (A’s Bench Coach), and Joey Cora (Pirates 3rd Base Coach).
2. New training staff: the Mets are always injured and don’t seem to think that their trainer, Ray Ramirez is an issue. Candidates include: literally anyone other than Ray Ramirez.
3. Third Base: As much as I hate to say it, the Mets need to move on from David Wright. The organization needs to realize that Wright is most likely not coming back, and need to find a new player to man the hot corner. Trade candidates include: Manny Machado (Orioles, 1 year left on contract), Josh Donaldson (Blue Jays, 1 year left on contract). If the Mets want to sign a free agent, there are options too: Mike Moustakas (Royals), Todd Frazier (Yankees), José Reyes (Mets). They could also promote from within: Phillip Evans, Asdrubal Cabrera, TJ Rivera.
4. Second Base: The Mets definitely miss Daniel Murphy right about now. Neil Walker had filled in very well, but he has since been traded to Milwaukee. Some possible free agent options include: Neil Walker (Brewers), Brandon Phillips (Angels). Internal options include: Asdrubal Cabrera, Wilmer Flores, and Gavin Cecchini.
5. Relief Pitching: Free agent options include: Addison Reed (Red Sox), Pat Neshek (Rockies), Tyler Clippard (Astros), and Wade Davis (Cubs).
If the Mets are willing to spend some money and show that they’re truly interested in winning, then they’ll need to address all 5 of the issues I mentioned.