Good evening! Welcome to the weekly edition of CFB Upsets ranked. This week we a mixture of power five conferences. So without further ado lets jump into it.
- Northwestern 39, #16 Michigan State 31: Northwestern hadn’t played well against ranked teams up to today. But today was more about a Michigan State defense that just didn’t play well in the three overtime periods. I thought we would see a little mix up in the play calling after the performance against indiana. But we didn’t. This loss takes Michigan State out of the CFB Playoff as a darkhorse contender. Their all but done after this loss.
- #25 Iowa State 14, #4 TCU 7: The score line explains this one. 7 points. 7 POINTS!!. The offense didn’t even produce those points. It was a defensive pick six. Kenny Hill had a QBR of 7.4. Most great defenses can carry a average or slightly below average offense. But this offense was horrendous today. TCU will need to win out and need help if their going to have a chance to jump back into the top 4.
- Houston 28, #17 South Florida 24: Even though the scoreline doesn’t show it, The Cougars played great defense. Houston also had their way on the ground today. Too many missed chances in the end zone for South Florida. The final game of the season for the Bulls will define if their going to be in the New Year’s Six bowl game.
- Arkansas 38, Ole Miss 37: What a choke !?!. The Rebels we’re up 24 early in the 2nd QTR. After the 10 minute point in the 2nd quarter the Rebels offense just froze. Scored 6 points the remainder of the football game. I guess if you want to call it “great” Razorbacks defense in the 2nd half you can. But i consider it a Ole Miss choke. Arkansas still needs to win out to reach a bowl game.
- Wake Forest 42, Louisville 32: Once again we found out Louisville is a under average football team with a great player in Lamar Jackson. If Jackson doesn’t play perfect the Cardinals will likely lose. Their secondary really got exposed today against John Wolford. I like their chances to get a bowl game. but that’s it.
Oregon 41, Utah 20: This doesn’t feel like a upset based on Utah’s offensive struggles. But Oregon just pounded Utah’s defense with the ground game. The Utes defense lost them this game. Oregon Team Rushing: 347. After this win, It seems likely the Ducks will be in a bowl game. Utah’s matchup against UCLA next weekend will be critical in deciding the Utes hopes for a bowl game.