First week of November is in the books. We are starting to see the ones who have the BEST shots. Right now it seems like it is cut and dry. So that obviously means chaos is about to reign supreme somewhere. We have a few changes to the ranks as Alabama dismantled LSU in Baton Rouge. So where do the teams stand this week?
(1) ALABAMA (Last week: 1-no change): Bama answered critics with a great game in Baton Rouge, dominating LSU from beginning to end. Their #1 holding is solid. Mississippi State, Auburn, and Georgia are the hurdles left. All three are winnable. And two of them can be blowouts (plus the Citadel).
(2) CLEMSON (Last week: 2-no change): We talk a great deal of how Alabama has destroyed everything in their path to this point, including the Tide’s near-masterful win over LSU, but Clemson is doing Alabama things in the past month than Alabama has, and is getting very little attention for that. Do. Not. Sleep. On. Clemson. Ever.
(3) NOTRE DAME (Last week: 3-no change): With Alabama taking down LSU, the Playoff team that is being knocked for their schedule is Notre Dame. Can’t fault the Irish for winning their games. The irony is every year the Irish puts out a tough schedule but the teams don’t hold up their ends of the bargain. They are at #3 and deserve to be #3.
(4) MICHIGAN (Last week: 4-no change): Wolverines are dominating right now. Only reason why I don’t move them ahead of Notre Dame was that Notre Dame beat Michigan. Yes, people, you still count first week games.
(5) GEORGIA (Last week: 6-up 1): Answered another call of a challenger in Kentucky. With ease. They easily control their own destiny but HAVE to win in Atlanta against Alabama. And no trip-ups at home to their hated rivals of Auburn and Georgia Tech either.
(6) WASHINGTON STATE (Last week: 9-up 3): Cougars are proving they can win on defense as well as win on offense. In other words, they are a balanced team and without question the best balanced team in the PAC-12.
(7) UCF (Last week: 7-no change): Had the Knights not give up 40 to Temple at home, I’d have them at #6. But the defense is back into question and the teams ahead of them would just shred them up while the offense wouldn’t do the same things like they can to Temple, Memphis, etc.
(8) WEST VIRGINIA (Last week: unranked): The defense still raises questions, but Will Grier is still making a push for the Heisman candidacy with his play. If he continues to play at this pace, the Mountaineers still have a great shot for a major bowl game or even a Playoff.
(9) OKLAHOMA (Last week: 8-down 1): Remember that Texas beat Oklahoma on neutral ground. West Virginia beat Texas in Austin and Oklahoma goes to West Virginia later on. Both teams defenses are a problem and I don’t see for as good as Kyler Murray is, will outduel Will Grier. I don’t. Sooners have issues on defense that will be too much to overcome. Same story, different season, right?
(10) OHIO STATE (Last week: 10-no change): Ohio State right now should be lucky that beyond them is a giant heap of a mess. There shouldn’t have been any way to “squeak by” a 2-7 Nebraska team. This team isn’t very good and they are playing through the motions. Not good when you still have a couple of teams that are not going to be a pushover.
HONORABLE MENTIONS: LSU, Syracuse, Boston College, Iowa State, Fresno State
That’s it for this week.
-Fan in the Obstructed Seat