This week will be one of the most “normal” weeks of this as none of the top ten teams from last week took it on the chin. However, does that mean there won’t be movement? We’ll see.
(1) ALABAMA (Last week: 1-no change): Worst offensive outing all year for the Bama offense (still had 21 points in the first half) and Tua was dinged up. Defense stood tall for their second official straight shutout against an SEC West foe (though Mississippi State unofficially scored a TD before the half). But a match with the Citadel will probably rest Tua and Jalen for the 2nd half before they prepare for Auburn and Georgia the weeks after.
(2) CLEMSON (Last week: 2-no change): Fought a tough Boston College squad. Won and had to grind it out most of the night. But they are rolling.
(3) NOTRE DAME (Last week: 3-no change): No Ian Book, no major problem. Notre Dame didn’t play down to Florida State’s level (odd saying that) and won decisively. But a huge game next week against Syracuse will be their season.
(4) MICHIGAN (Last week: 4-no change): Wolverines get off to sluggish starts, but then pour it on. Rutgers was a breeze for them, but they know what the big prize is in two weeks. The ultimate revenge game.
(5) GEORGIA (Last week: 5-no change): Their gauntlet run of LSU, Florida, Kentucky, and Auburn is over and after a rough start with LSU, Georgia tightened up and hope to gain momentum when they play Alabama in 3 weeks for what will likely be a Playoff spot.
(6) WASHINGTON STATE (Last week: 6-no change): Like Alabama, Washington State hasn’t lit up the scoreboard as of late like we’ve come to know Mike Leach do, but they are also playing some pretty good defense and keeping teams out of the end zone. Loved the post-game presser with Mike Leach and Gardner Minshew. They are just having fun out there.
(7) WEST VIRGINIA (Last week 8-up 1): You can talk about the Mountaineers offense, but the defense isn’t too bad. It is where I think that West Virginia can beat Oklahoma in the final week (and maybe the week after).
(8) UCF (Last week: 7-down 1): They are either giving up too many points or letting weaker teams get into games now. Hard to really argue if you are squeaking by against lower level opponents.
(9) OKLAHOMA (Last week: 9-no change): David Pollack sent out a tweet last night saying despite Oklahoma playing poorly for three quarters on defense, they stepped up when needed in the 4th. The Sooners can’t do that to West Virginia or else the Mountaineers will run rougshod all over them in 2 weeks.
(10) OHIO STATE (Last week: 10-no change): The good news was they decisively beat Michigan State. The bad news was, they still have issues on offense and it was ugly even for them. But a win is a win….
NEXT 5: SYRACUSE, LSU, IOWA STATE, TEXAS, PENN STATE
-Fan in the Obstructed Seat