1. Kareem Hunt continues to impress. This young man is just so impressive when he runs the ball. He is by every measure of the term a power back. Hunt has the rare ability to carry the pile with him to score as he did on the game winning touchdown, if he continues at this rate OROY honors could be in his future.
2. The Philadelphia defense is top 3 in the NFL. Philly got to the Qaurterback twice every drive the Chiefs had, whether that be sacks QB hits or Hurries. While the Secondary isn’t as strong with Ronald Darby if offenses don’t have time to throw the Philly back end can’t be exposed, and that is Jim Schwartz game plan.
3. The QB play in this game gave us more questions than answers. Carson Wentz didn’t blow up in the box score but other than a tip pass that was intercepted at the line of scrimmage he didn’t make any mistakes either. The Kansas City Secondary even without Eric Berry was able to shut down the Eagles passing game, so Wentz really had limited options in the passing game. Alex Smith on the other hand looked like the Alex Smith of old only throwing two deep shots in the game on the first and last drive of the day. It was a truly luke warm performance from the definition of a luke warm QB.
4. The Patriots are alive and well, but they may have lost another weapon. Tom Brady smoked a Saints defense that looked dead in the water from the beginning of the game. Although if Rob Gronkowskis injury is serious it would mean that the Pats have lost yet another weapon. You can’t play the Saints every week.
5. Drew Brees looks like he might be fighting off father time this season. Brees has missed some questionable throws early and looks like he has lost some arm strength it is still early of course but something to watch.
6. Carson Palmer had over 300 yards but the Cards barely beat Indy in OT.
7. The Steelers offense continues to find its groove and it only got better in week 2. Against a great Minnesota defense Ben Rothlisberger threw for 240 plus yards and two touchdowns. More importantly though Martavias Bryant announced his return with 91 yards and a touchdown. Leveon Bell looked better in week 2 but expect the break out next week. Bell slowly but steadily is regaining his running legs after missing everything from Training camp to the regular season.
8. Tennessee has a new toy but the same identity. It was all ground and pound against the Jags but Derrick Henry not Demarco Murray was doing the grounding and pounding. Henry looks legit and had a 33 yard touchdown run on the day. Expect to see more touches from him in week 3.
9. The Panthers are still finding their identity. Christian Mccaffery still isn’t a big enough part of this offense and the Panthers still can’t score in the Red zone. The Defense may be this team’s identity though as they only allowed Buffalo 3 points.
10. The Ravens defense continues to dominate and the offense is catching up. That is a scary sentence. The Ravens Secondary carried the day against the Browns and it looked like Cleveland took 5 steps back.
11. The Raiders blew out the Jets. No surprise here.
12. Younghoe Koo missed a clutch kick for the second week in a row. It’s the same ol Chargers just in a new city. Jay Cutler looked Sharp in Adam Gases system and minimized mistakes as the Dolphins opened the year with a win.
13. Seattles offensive line is going to lose them a shot at a playoff run and maybe even the Division. The Niners defensive line manhandled the Seahawks in the Trenches and allowed only two field goals and a touchdown in a 9-12 loss in Seattle. The Seattle defense is a double edged sword while they don’t allow offenses to put up huge numbers they cannot win a game for this team because they do not force enough turnovers.
14. The Redskins offense found its groove. Although Kirk Cousins struggled early when Washington found there run game they became an entirely different team. Rob Kelley Chris Thompson and Samaje Perinee all ran for over 60 yards. Speaking of Running game renaissance Todd Gurley ran for 88 yards averaged 5.5 yards a carry and scored a touchdown. Although the Rams lost the offense continues to look good as Jared Goff threw for 224 yards a touchdown and an interception.
15. The Broncos offense continues to look good as Denver blew out the Cowboys at home. Running back CJ Anderson dominated on the ground and Emmanuel Sanders caught two touchdowns. Trevor Siemian threw four touchdowns, the bad news for the Broncos is that LT Garret Bolles went down with an apparent leg injury. While the hope is that it is only a high ankle sprain it could be much worse namely sources fear an Achilles injury, we will learn more later today. On defense the Broncos held Ezekiel Elliott to the worst game of his career running for only 8 yards. Von Miller also ended a five game sack less streak, getting Dak Prescott twice in the fourth quarter.
16. The Falcons are once again for real and Aaron Rodgers looks like he’s in one of his September funks again. The Falcons dominated the Packers Sunday night marching up and down the field and the defense flustered Rodgers early and often throughout the night. On the other side of the ball the Martellus Bennet Hookup doesn’t look right yet as Rodgers and Bennett could not connect in this game. Nothing to worry about though, Rodgers will just be the most dominant QB in the league after mid-October Packers fans.